Does Google hate Vienna?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
hbowman
Harmless

Does Google hate Vienna?

Postby hbowman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Whenever I use Vienna to post a comment to a blog that uses Google captchas, I am presented with anywhere from two to a dozen "try agains," the average being five or six. The behavior where Google says instead, "I know who you are, go right on through" I see only about once a month, if ever.

I don't see this level of mistrust when using any other access method (such as my browsers), even when I am accessing the very same blogs I access in Vienna. It is very clearly Vienna-specific.

Is there some butt at Google that Vienna needs to kiss harder to get some special certification, or charter, or indulgence, or whatever party-line BS Google is demanding of the peons this month?

ViennaWoods
Harmless

Re: Does Google hate Vienna?

Postby ViennaWoods » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:59 pm

I have no problems logging into my Google account through Vienna.

Do you have Java enabled in Vienna? Turning of Java can cause problems on some Web pages.

hbowman
Harmless

Postby hbowman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:07 pm

I have JavaScript enabled; I see no preference for Java at all. And the problem has nothing to do with Google accounts, which I do not use.

I am talking solely about Google captchas, used by various blogs to control spam posts. When I am using Vienna to access these blogs, I am routinely harassed to solve an average of six or seven consecutive "please retry" captchas before a posting is allowed; via other means (like browsers) on the very same blogs, I am usually asked to solve one, rarely two, and even sometimes none (I am passed through without challenge after merely checking "I am not a robot").

ViennaWoods
Harmless

Postby ViennaWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 am

This is strange indeed. I should mention that I mostly use Vienna for news sites, not blogs, but I tried it on a captcha-protected website and I had no problems getting in.

Whoever invented captcha, however, should be sent up for a very long time.

hbowman
Harmless

Postby hbowman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:03 am

To clarify, this is specifically Google's captchas (click the appropriate choices out of nine pictures, many of which may refresh and need to be rechecked), not captchas in general, others of which don't exhibit any problems in Vienna.

ViennaWoods
Harmless

Postby ViennaWoods » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 pm

You could have a look at this site, with a list of supported browsers.

https://support.google.com/recaptcha/?hl=en

Vienna isn’t primarily a browser, of course, although it has a built-in browser client.

Return to “Vienna”